In many cases, the basement foundation is not sturdy, you notice leaks in your basement, or you notice dips in the floor or the ground outside. Sure, it might not seem like a big deal. But those leaks and other issues can become a major headache if they are not dealt with and repaired as soon as they are spotted. A home’s foundation is going to make or break the property – literally. The foundation is where the home lies. If it is faulty, if there is damage, or if it is not sturdy, how can you expect a home which weighs several tons (plus the weight of family, furniture, appliances, etc) to be held on the ground safely? The answer is you can’t. So, at the first sight of damage, even if it seems to be a minor concern, hire a technician to visit the home and take a look.
When basement foundation repair is required, make sure you hire a foundation specialist. Hire a company which deals with basement foundation repair jobs on a daily basis. They are knowledgeable. They know how to spot the issues. They are going to know where to look, how to spot shallow ground, water damage, storm damage, and so forth. Furthermore, if there is nothing to worry about, they are honest, and are going to inform you of this, as well. When it comes to basement flooding, one solution for many homeowners, expecially if the leak is from an external source outside the home, would be weeping tiles in Ottawa. This system can provide proper backyard drainage to draw water away from wherever it might be entering your basement. So, if a leaky or flooded basement is the problem, make sure to hire someone who’s familiar with weeping tiles in Ottawa to perform the work. A general contractor might not be, or might not have as much experience in doing foundation work or work related to basement flooding. This can cause a great deal of stress on the home, and over time, further issues with the home’s foundation, as well.
When choosing a specialist, what do you look for?
1. The reputation. An honest company, one which has been doing foundation repairs for years, one that is well known, and has a solid standing in the community.
2. A company that does residential work. It is a home, so you want them to know how to do work in the home, not just on commercial land.
3. Their methods. Are they familiar with new testing? Do they have proper equipment? Do they know how to spot issues/damage?
4. Their guarantees. If none are offered, do you really want to hire them to do the repair work? Probably not.
5. Their cost. Consider the price for labour, repairs, new materials, etc. No, it is not the most important factor, but an honest company will provide you with a full written quote, as well as a price guarantee.
No two companies are going to do repair work in the same fashion, nor will two technicians have the same degree of experience or precision when it comes to foundation repair. For these reasons, as a homeowner, it is in your best interests to compare a few companies prior to hiring one. Doing this allows you to compare their assessment, their knowledge, as well as pricing. In turn, you will end up hiring a reputable and honest company, as well as one which truly knows what they are doing when dealing with issues or damage to your home’s basement and foundation.